Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "walk of fame" sign

Default "walk of fame" sign

Folks:

I've just gotten a request to do a sign for a "walk of fame" where an organization wants their logo inset into a brick walkway. I'm looking for ideas for material to use for this project...it needs to stand up to weather and foot traffic. I was thinking of perhaps using Trupan or Extira then coating with epoxy for durability and spar varnish for UV protection. Any ideas if this would be appropriate?

Also, the sign will be 24" in diameter so I probably have to give some thought to how slippery the finish will be - don't want someone sliding on it!

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

-Ed

Ed,

How about making a mould (the logo in reverse)? Then pour concrete, or some other material, to make the 24" logo.

That's a VERY cool idea and simple too!!

Ed,
    I think Charles is right on the money with the mold idea.

I took Polytek's moldmaking class last year and bought urethane mold material specifically to do what you want to do. I was planning on making concrete tesselating pavers with it...just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Contact me for details...I believe that I have 6 gallons of the rubber and release agent designed for casting concrete. I'm west of you in South Jersey.

-Brady

Concrete may be a little "cheap". We have made molds for someone that makes a granite or marble look-a-like. I also remember some posts here on cutting marble or soapstone.

Gerald,
    Concrete has come a long way in the past 10 yrs...there are businesses who only make concrete countertops, for instance.

There's a whole bunch of ways that you can add aggregate, color, texture and other effects to simulate just about anything by using concrete.

-Brady

Thanks for the inputs, guys. I hadn't thought of making a mold - that'll probably work out well. I was going to post a question about color until I read Brady's last post

It is all in the terminology Brady - nobody here would call their granite or marble look-a-likes as concrete, because then it won't fetch the same price. We seem to be talking of exactly the same stuff.

Ed, this link may help you.

Ed,

Sometimes you just have to invert your thinking. (pun intended) :-)

Anyway, I am glad I could help! It's a small donation for the countless gems that I've mined from this forum.

Thanks for the link, Gerald. As usual the forum has come thru and provided me with more than enough info. Now my problem is that I have too many soloutions

As far as "problems" go that's a pretty good one to have.